I was there: Peter Waelti

Everything was easier in 1968, compared to today. No bodyguards or security at the hotel, keeping people away from the artists... Newspapers freely posted at which hotel  the stars would stay.

May 31st, 1968 - a day I will always remember, as if it were yesterday. And yet it was 50-years to the day! I was only 18 years old at the time, totally excited to see my second big concert (the first one being the Rolling Stones the year before). Boulevard paper "Blick" posted where the bands will stay and me & my camera went to the Hotel Stoller in Zurich to see whether I could get a glimpse of the stars.

Not only did I get to see the stars, but was able to talk to them as well. Everybody seemed to be very approachable and friendly. John Mayall was sitting all by himself outside [basically between side walk and Cafe/Hotel entrance], so were Mitch Mitchell & Noel Redding. Traffic's Chris Wood and Steve Winwood conducting an interview all hanging out and chillin'.




















Inside the hotel (yes, one could just walk into the lobby and restaurant) I chatted with Eric Burdon and the Move's Roy Wood and Carl Wayne.

That experience only added to the excitement for that night's concert. I always liked the 'Koobas' and they were great to get the show started. What sticks out from 'The Move' (Roy Wood and Bev Bevan became members of ELO in later years) performance in my mind was the white strobe lights that made it nearly impossible to see the band. 'John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers' (with a very young Mick Taylor on guitar) gave a solid performance. Although Jimi Hendrix was the headliner, I have to say that 'Eric Burdon & The New Animals' blew me away totally. They had a huge backdrop (which was something I had never seen) that had choreographed film clips in sync with the lyrics, like on one of their hits, "Sky Pilot" showing images of Hitler & the Pope. After that visual spectacle the time had come for the headliner, the 'Jimi Hendrix Experience'. For me, after that elaborate visual show of 'Eric Burdon & The New Animals', it was almost "anti-climactic" to see just 3 musicians under normal stage light starting their set. But that feeling only lasted until about half into the first song. To see & hear Jimi Hendrix in person, live on stage was and is something that many will never witness. Totally unique!




















To be able to see rock history in the making with your own eyes with such an incredible line-up and being able to reminisce 50 years later, sharing the unique experience with a younger generation, is truly PRICELESS!!

Peter from Denver am 31. Mai 2018

Foto: Peter 1968

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen